Anne Golon is the pseudonym of Simone Goloubinoff, who together with her husband, Vsevolod Sergeïvich Goloubinoff, known as Serge Golon, wrote the Angélique books. The books were first released in English under the name of Sergeanne Golon and later some under the name Anne et Serge Golon. Anne was born in 1921 in France. He was a Russian aristocrat who had fled Russia during the revolution, and they met during World War II.
The first Angélique book, at over 900 pages, was published in 1957 in France (and in 1956 in Germany) in two volumes to make it "easier" to read, entitled Angélique, Marquise of the Angels and Angélique, the Road to Versailles. Bantam published the books in one volume, titled "Angélique" in 1958. The books are not technically romances, more historic fiction with the continuing story of Angélique (and her husband, Joffrey de Peyrac) spanning the ages beginning in France during the time of Louis XIV and continuing to the "New World" and in fact around the world. The books were published by Bantam in 1958 in the United States and by Pan Books and other publishers in the United Kingdom. The saga of Angélique has sold over 100 million books, has had 320 publishers and over 45 translations.
Serge Golon died in 1972, but Anne continued to write. Some of the recent editions have been illustrated by the couple's daughter, Nadja Golon. The last Angélique book was published in 1985. Anne is reported to live in southern France.
On the Web
- Angélique, marquise des Anges - 1957 (Angélique: Marquise of the Angels)
- Angélique, le chemin de Versailles - 1958 (Angélique: The Road to Versailles)
- Angélique et le roy - 1959 (Angélique and the King)
- Indomptable Angélique - 1960 (Angélique and the Sultan)
- Angélique se révolte - 1961 (Angélique in Revolt)
- Angélique et son amour - 1961 (Angélique in Love)
- Angélique et le nouveau monde - 1964 (The Countess Angélique)
- La tentation d'Angélique - 1966 (The Temptation of Angélique)
- Angélique et la Démone - 1972 (Angélique and the Demon)
- Angélique et le complot des ombres - 1976 (Angélique and the Ghosts)
- Angélique à Québec - 1980 (not yet translated)
- Angélique, la route de l'espoir - 1984 (not yet translated)
- La Victoire d'Angélique - 1985 (not yet translated)
- Angélique, marquise des anges (1964)
- Merveilleuse Angélique (1965)
- Angélique et le roy (1966)
- Indomptable Angélique (1967)
- Angélique et le sultan (1968)