As an author for the Harlequin Intrigue imprint, Dinah Shields published one novel. She also wrote two books for Silhouette under the pseudonym Jane Clare. She then transitioned into writing gardening books, and teaching gardening and novel-writing classes. She also had a regular gardening column in the city's newspaper. From 1995 to 1998 she owned and operated her own independent bookstore, her all-time favourite job. Then the box stores came along and wiped out nearly the entire independent bookseller category. After that came work in a library. She currently lives in Laguna Beach CA, 300 metres from the Pacific Ocean, waiting for her green card to come through (Dinah is a Canadian). She lives very contentedly with her husband of thirty-five years, and a revolving collection of cats, two at a time, currently Purrl and Archie, both Humane Society rescues. They all live in a tiny cottage built by a great actress of the 1920s and 1930s, Marie Dressler.
- Just Before Dawn - November 1985 (Harlequin Intrigue # 29)
- Traces of Dreams, by Jane Clare, for Silhouette Special Edition
- Old Love, New Love, by Jane Clare, for Silhouette Intimate Moments
- The Reluctant Gardener, co-authored with Edwinna von Baeyer, for Random House
- The No-garden Gardener, co-authored with Edwinna von Baeyer, for Random House