Harlequin usually refers to the publishing company Harlequin Enterprises Limited, a Toronto, Ontario-based company that is the world's leading publisher of romance and women's fiction. The company publishes nearly 110 new titles each month in 27 different languages, primarily category romances.
About the Company
Within the publishing company of Harlequin there are several lines including:
- Harlequin - category romances
- Mills & Boon - United Kingdom arm
- Silhouette - category romances
- HQN - Harlequin enters the single-title market.
- Kimani Press - African American imprints
- Luna - paranormal imprint
- Mira - high-end single title imprint.
- Red Dress Ink - this imprint publishes primarily "chick-lit"
- Spice - women's erotic fiction
- Steeple Hill Books - Inspirational romance.
- Everlasting Love
- Intrigue - Harlequin's romantic suspense line.
- Love Inspired - This imprint is devoted to inspirational (mainly Christian) romances.
- Harlequin Medical Romance
- Next - Women's fiction
- Presents - This imprint is devoted to glamore and passion, often with International settings
- Romance - in 2007 the Silhouette Romance line was folded into this Harlequin line
- Superromance - Longer titles focusing on family issues.
Defunct Harlequin Imprints
- Duets - A humor line featuring two books in one.
- Flipside - A line of chick-lit flavored romantic comedy. (2003-2005)
- Love And Laughter - The Love and Laughter line featured short, humorous stories. The line was merged with Silhouette's Yours Truly line to form the Duets line.
- Mystique - Mystique ran from August 1977 to February 1982. The series was romantic suspense, mostly set in foreign locales.
- Harlequin Temptation - Temptation was Harlequin's long-running sensual line. As the hotter Blaze line drew off readers, Temptation finally ceased publication in 2005.
- Heat - Blaze was the original "flash" on the cover of Temptation books drawing readers looking for hotter, sexier reads. After Blaze became its own line, the Heat "flash" debuted.
- Violet - Violet was Harlequin's manga line, renamed Ginger Blossom. Only existing titles were reprinted as manga.
Current Mills & Boon Imprints
- By Request
- Historical Romance (formerly Masquerade Historical Romance and Legacy of Love)
- Medical Romance
- Modern Romance
- Tender Romance
- Silhouette Desire
- Intimate Moments was renamed Silhouette Romantic Suspense in 2007
- Nocturne - a paranormal imprint started in 2006
- Special Edition
Defunct Silhouette Imprints
- Bombshell - this line was discontinued in 2007
- Romance - in 2007 the Silhouette Romance line was folded into the Harlequin Romance line
- Shadows - Romances "from the Dark Side of Love" ran from 1993 to 1996
- Yours Truly - A romantic comedy line, which merged with Harlequin's Love and Laughter line in 1999 to form Duets.
On the Web
- eHarlequin - Main Harlequin website